Thursday, July 14, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

A few weeks ago I got two butternut squash in my Bountiful Basket....great.

Not a fan of butternut squash.

I tried making soup out of one last fall...and it was nasty.
I also did the butter and brown sugar thing to another one, and I didnt' care for it.
(I also don't like sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie)

So the other day when I was browsing Our Best Bites I came across a Butternut Squash Soup Recipe that looked pretty good. It wasn't meant to be overly sweet like alot of other recipes I've seen so I thought, why not try it.

So today I pulled a chair up to the counter and had James "help" me make the soup. He picked up everything and smelled it, saying "mmmm Yuuummmy!" I had to cut extra carrots since James kept eating them from my little bowl. Then when I cut up the onion he ran out of the room wiping his little eyes. When the soup was all cooked he saw the steam rising and said "Ooh is Hot!" and tried to cool it down by blowing on it.

I wasn't sure if James would try the soup on his own, or if I'd have to plead with him to take one sip. Surprisingly he was eager to get in his high chair to eat. As soon as I placed the bowl in front of him he dipped the spoon right in and took a tiny sip...."mmmmm". The rest of his spoonfuls were slurped right up! Cue angles singing....Its a miracle! The boy who's only wanted to eat corn dogs and hot dogs all week loved Butternut Squash Soup!
It was really good! I added some Chipotle Tabasco sauce to mine for an extra kick, and I think next time I make it I'll keep it a little bit more chunky for added texture.

So if any of you still have a butternut squash sitting around, make it into soup. Yum!

No comments: